VIUF is joining the Vashon-based team to respond to urgent needs of Afghan refugees resettling in the South Sound area. As Julia Lakey has reported, we don’t yet know exact numbers, but expect perhaps 2000 families to be assigned to WA. The Episcopal Dioceses of Olympia Office of Refugee Resettlement ( insert link to website here) is very experienced and is requesting community assistance with volunteer ESL conversational tutors/partners ( all on zoom, curriculum provided, one hour a week). And assembling Welcome Kits for families of 6 arriving in housing with no equipment or linens, etc.
Our Board has approved our participation and the use of Lewis Hall to gather and assemble kits over the coming weeks. Please let us know in what ways you may be able to help. Our process is as follows:
1. November 1: 30+ empty plastic bins collected from Littlest Bird Farm and delivered to Lewis Hall
2. Volunteers label bins, add envelopes with donation list, and VIUF donation tax claim receipt and assign driving routes
3. November 2 Drivers distribute bins to households who have volunteered to gather items
4. November 6 10:00- 1:00 PM Drivers collect bins or donors drop them off at Lewis Hall.
5. November 7 1-3 PM volunteers meet at Lewis hall to set up processing system